Pages

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Moving on and Mending A Broken Heart


   "If we must part forever,
Give me but one kind word to think upon,
And please myself with, while my heart's breaking." 
-Thomas Otwa 

As I muse about the post that I'm going to blog about, my mind wandered to not so long ago when I was younger and was in love.  Then it occurred to me that perhaps, writing about moving on and mending a broken heart might be a helpful topic to many young girls and boys. 

It's not easy to move on and mend a broken heart when you've truly loved someone; I've been there; done that.  In retrospect, the break-up of my 2-year relationship after college was a "blow" to me.  It felt surrealistic.  It felt like I wanted to wake up from a bad dream; but the only problem was, I wasn't even dreaming(lol!).

http://flickrcc.bluemountains.net/flickrCC/
After a break-up, how do you move on, pick-up the pieces of your heart and try to mend it?  The following tips might be of help to those in this predicament.  

Take time to grieve.  It's all right to grieve for a lost love.  Accept that you were hurt and things did not work the way you would have hoped it would.  Let it all in; shed some tears, then stop and accept the fact that it's over. 
"Let your tears come.  Let them water your soul."  ~Eileen Mayhew
 
"There are things that we don't want to happen but have to accept, things we don't want to know but have to learn, and people we can't live without but have to let go." 
~Author Unknown

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3548/
Catharsis; Purging.  Do a creative activity that would start purging the emotions--the love that's left, the anger, the pain.  Way back, I wrote psuedo letters to my ex-boyfriend, which I threw after writing.  These letters were just meant for catharsis.  Writing journals may be another helpful exercise to many.  If you are not into writing, find another creative activity where you can project or vent out your emotions.

"Maybe a part of loving is learning to let go." 
~From the television show The Wonder Years
 http://www.quotegarden.com/teen-heart.html

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2778/
Huddle with your support group.   Be around people, as the old adage goes, "No man is an island."  This is the time when you will need the support of your family and peers. 

"Sometimes our hearts get tangled
And our souls a little off-kilter
Friends and family can set us right
And help guide us back to the light."
~Sera Christann
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2664/
Go out and have fun with friends!  Step out into the sunlight.  Do the things you used to do.  Go out with friends, shop, watch movies, hang-out, but avoid places that will stir memories of your past relationship.    
  "The best way to mend a broken heart is time and girlfriends."
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/86/
"Have you ever been hurt and the place tries to heal a bit, and you just pull the scar off of it over and over again."  ~Rosa Parks

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3118/
Pamper and love yourself more.  After 3 days of grieving, I look in the mirror and found out how awful I look.  So, I availed of some pampering treats.  Love yourself more, re-evaluate your perception of yourself, highlight your good qualities--a healthy self-respect will speed up the healing process. 
"We have to learn to be our own best friends because we fall too easily into the trap of being our own worst enemies." 
~Roderick Thorp, Rainbow Drive


Pray.  Prayer has a healing property that is difficult to explain.  During those times, I joined a prayer group where I met new friends that became my prayer partners and it contributed a lot to my emotional healing.
         "A heartbreak is a blessing from God.  It's just his way of letting you realize he saved you from the wrong one."
~Author Unknown
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3053/
Initially, it's going to be difficult to move on and mend a broken heart; but one has to start somewhere, because the world will not stop rotating on its axis.  
 
"The turning point in the process of growing up is when you discover the core of strength within you that survives all hurt." 
~Max Lerner, The Unfinished Country, 1950

Take heart and remember that after all, time heals all wounds. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...