Pages

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Lenten Reflection: One Lesson In College That I Will Bring With Me To The Grave


           As I sit in front of the computer, my mind traversed to not so long ago, when I was still a senior  student at St. Paul College of Quezon City.  At SPC, we've had Theology Classes from first year to fourth year.   The last Theology Class I’ve had was a course on the “Sacraments”, with an eloquent guy, Mr. Antonio as the course instructor. He was a good teacher; he threw thought-provoking questions and facilitated spirited group discussions. 

          We were discussing the topic “Marriage as a Covenant” in one of the sessions, when one of my classmates asked a question pertaining to how long should a wife endure a husband who does not fulfill his responsibilities. To that, Mr. Antonio retorted, “as long as you can, with prayers.”  He was pointing out that true, unconditional love of a praying wife can still convert an irresponsible husband. I raised my hand, stood up and asked him, if it will not be stupidity for a wife to bear with a husband who does not fulfill his part of the covenant. He directed the answer to me, saying “Ms. Griva, if you think that is stupidity, do you mean that Christ’s dying on the cross for our sins was also stupidity?” I was not able to answer, because I knew in my heart, I could not argue anymore. 

          Those words I kept in my heart, though they were spoken more than a decade ago.  Year after year, as Holy Week comes, I see the passion and death of Christ as the ultimate expression of unconditional love.  When I think about it, something stirs in my heart all the time.  I feel humbled and grateful at the same time.  Then, Mary comes to mind—what anguish, what pain she must have felt, seeing her son mocked, scourged and nailed on the cross, and it was all because of unconditional love.  It’s hard to love unconditionally, because it means loving even those you don’t find lovable, but I believe that it’s not humanly impossible.  In my own little way, I try to love, to forgive and to ask God for the grace of Charity.


http://www.flickr.com/photos/53496815@N00/

http://sleekboy.deviantart.com/art/

          Out of college for years now, I’ve already forgotten most of the lessons we’ve had.  I’ve adapted a more pragmatic view of life and of doing things; but, if there’s one last lesson that college reinforced in my heart, that is:  God's love for me is unconditional and God's love will envelope me no matter where life may take me, and that is the faith that I will bring with me to the grave.

Have a blessed Holy Week and Happy Easter everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...